Carrot and Walnut Cake
• 300g shredded carrots
• 3 eggs
• 1 cup rice bran oil
• 1 ½ cups brown sugar
• 1stp vanilla extract
• 1 cup of plain flour
• 1 cup of wholemeal plain flour
• 1stp baking powder
• 1stp of bicarbonate of soda
• ½ tsp ground cardamom
• ½ tsp ground ginger
• 100g walnuts, chopped and 100g Walnuts (halves for candied walnuts)
• 250g cream cheese
• 125g soft butter
• 4 cups sifted icing sugar
• ¼ cup of maple syrup for candied walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 170°c. Grease two 20cm
round pans & line with baking paper.
2. Place carrot in a microwave on high for 1½
mins or until softened, set aside to cool.
3. Beat eggs, oil, sugar and vanilla in a bowl
until combined. Sift flours, baking powder,
bicarb soda and spices together. Fold into egg
mixture. Add carrots and walnuts and stir well.
4. Divide evenly between pans. Bake for 25
mins or until a skewer comes out clean. Cool
for 10 mins, the turn out onto a wire rack.
5. Frosting beat cream cheese in a bowl
until smooth. Add butter, beat until combined.
Slowly add sugar. Beat until smooth.
6. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Heat
a non-stick fry pan over medium heat. Add
candied walnuts ingredients. Stir for 5 min
or leave until nuts are fully coated with thick
syrup. Pour onto tray. Separate nuts cool for 5
7. Level tops of cakes so they are flat. Spread
frosting over base layer top and place second
layer on top. Cover top and sides of cake with
frosting. Arrange walnuts on top.
< Back to News